Saturday, January 14, 2012

What is a Poddy Calf?

I've had a few bemused looks and queries lately when I've used the phrase "Poddy Calf", so I think today is as good a day to set the record straight as we have just got a new baby poddy.

A Poddy Calf is an orphan calf (though this phrase can be used to describe a generic calf). In instances where a calf loses its mother it is commonly reared by hand or with another foster cow. Calf's reared by hand are often fed a formulated milk replacer, that contains all the essential minerals and nutrients required by growing calves.
In the case below and any other cases it is vitally important to the health and development of a calf that it receives the colostrum (first lactation from a cow that has just calved) as this contains a lot of natural antibiotic compounds required by the calf for immunity defenses. Colostrum can be frozen and kept for a period of time so you it can be used for other calves if they haven't been able to get fresh colostrum.


Meet Marcus:

Marcus is a one week old Braford. Sadly we lost Marcus's mother, but we were able to save him. He weighed an incredible 50kg at birth and is certainly a very big bull calf. 
This photo here was taken about three days after he was born. He is currently being bottle fed up to four times a day depending on how much he drinks and how hungry he is.
We are planning to introduce Marcus to one of our foster cows as he is getting a bit too big to stay in the backyard of the homestead.

 Here you can see him sleeping in Mum's garden (another reason why he is getting too big for the Homestead yard.).
He is a real character of a calf full of personality and energy, he will happily chase you across the yard to get to his milk


7 comments:

  1. www.ktsfarmlife.blogspot.com Check out our post. "Down at the milk bar"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very gorgeous! I have found the same thing when I've talked about Poddy's. I even had one that used to follow me when I was on my horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like it when my poddy cow PENETRATES MY ANUS

      Delete
  3. Now I know what a poddy IS - I need to know WHY the name Poddy?? Bobby calves were so-named (I understand) because they used to cost a shilling (or a 'bob') in old money each..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cheese and crackers with my vodka

      Delete
  4. A poddy calf is an orphaned or hand-reared young calf, often fed with a bottle or artificial milk replacer. These calves require special care and attention, as they lack maternal care. Top Game Code Raising poddy calves is a common practice in agriculture, ensuring their healthy development and eventual integration into the herd.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...